We are the champions

CHS named as Unified Champion School

Cody High School was recently honored as a Unified Champion School and will celebrate this during an assembly on Thursday. 

This new title means that the school is nationally recognized for integrating athletic activities for students with and without disabilities. 

According to organizer and adviser Sarah Call, CHS is the only school in Wyoming that participates in the Project Unify program and to have this title bestowed upon them. 

Unified Champion Schools are those that have implemented inclusive sports, opportunities for leadership, and engagement from the whole school, according to Special Olympics. The goal is to ultimately “create an environment where students with disabilities feel welcome are routinely included in, and feel a part of, all activities, opportunities and functions,” the website explained.

“You just need the enthusiasm from all of the students,” Call said. 

While the program has been up and running for the past six years, having a leadership team has helped it to become more prevalent in the school. Last fall members attended a Special Olympics Global Youth Leadership Forum in Azerbaijan and last spring hosted a Project Unified Soccer event. 

Principal Jeremiah Johnston said the participation shows our school’s sense of community and inclusiveness. 

“This award is a testament to the hard work of staff and students here at our high school,” he said. “We are proud of the efforts of everyone in our organization working to make CHS a great place to be for all of our students.”