Holland but not Tom

Mr.+Holland+located+in+the+top+row+second+person+to+the+left+at+The+Best+Buddies+Leadership+Conference+located+in+Bloomington%2C+Ind.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Holland but not Tom

Mr. Holland located in the top row second person to the left at The Best Buddies Leadership Conference located in Bloomington, Ind.

New academic skills teacher David Holland has recently joined the CHS family. He previously worked at Rawlins High School as a special education math teacher and before in New Mexico, also as a special education teacher.

Holland has been teaching for six years now, moving to Cody to be closer to family.

In Rawlins Holland was part of an organization called Best Buddies. “It’s a social program for students with disabilities who don’t want to do sports in special olympics,” Holland said. The idea behind the program is to help kids with disabilities makes friends with kids who don’t have disabilities, providing social experiences for these kids all year long. 

It’s something Holland is really interested in bringing to CHS. “It would work really well with the unify program here, and it would intertwine, allowing everyone to feel included,” he said.

Since kicking off the first Wyoming chapter of Best Buddies in Rawlins, the program is spreading throughout the state. People participate in it at the University of Wyoming, Laramie High School, Star Valley High School and Jackson Hole High School. 

At the international conference, Holland and his team won the most outstanding chapter award after raising $30,000 during the first ever Best Buddies leadership walk in Wyoming to help get a state office for this program.

“It’s been a pretty good transition,” Holland said. Moving from Rawlins to Cody hasn’t been too drastic of a change as both cities have similar populations.  

It’s teachers like Holland who are always working behind the scenes to make sure every kid is able to show their best potential. He may not be Tom but he could definitely be considered Cody High School’s new friendly neighborhood Spiderman.