CHS Bonfire

A Brush Stroke Closer to Art Symposium

Emily+Trotter%27s+sketch+hangs+on+the+wall+at+last+year%27s+Art+Symposium.+The+piece+earned+her+a+blue+ribbon.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A Brush Stroke Closer to Art Symposium

Emily Trotter's sketch hangs on the wall at last year's Art Symposium. The piece earned her a blue ribbon.

April 25-27 Cody High School students will be traveling to Casper to attend and participate in the annual Art Symposium.  

The purpose behind attending the symposium is to spark creativity within students. “It is important for students to meet with fellow students who have a passion for art,” art teacher Cindy Aune said. “Seeing all of the artwork, and sharing ideas is inspiring!”

Students pick pieces of art they have been working on all year to be presented. The symposium gives them a chance to display their artwork for judges, who give feedback on students’ creations.

Senior Lexie Boltz learned about this event from Aune and her older sister. It is her first time attending this event even though she is a senior. “I’m very excited to not only showcase my work but to have the ability to compare my techniques with other artists.”

Aune explained the goal of the Art Symposium is to display the best work for all of our state’s high schools. While competition isn’t the main focus, there are awards given for artwork that exemplify quality techniques or, more importantly, innovative concepts.

Senior Emily Trotter is attending Art Symposium for the second time, hoping to have the same luck bestowed upon her as last year. Trotter was awarded ribbons for each piece she entered, a rarity considering she attended without prior experience. “The biggest thing to learn from Art Symposium is that it isn’t about winning or being the best,” she said. “It is learning how to grow as an artist and appreciate all that is out there in the art world.”

Aune went on to announce she has always had students create artwork chosen for Congressional Art Award, which gives students the opportunity to display their artwork in the U.S. Capitol for a year. Two years CHS student Kenna Skoric was privileged enough to have her art selected for the honor.

Anyone interested in Art Symposium or wanting more information for next year’s conference can contact Mrs. Aune at [email protected].