Take Reading To A New Level

Back to Article
Back to Article

Take Reading To A New Level

Current Advance Reader Copies taken by Emmie Baker

Advanced copies of books have been under the radar to students at Cody High School, but have recently sprung some attention over the past couple of weeks. These copies are used to gain student opinion on obtaining titles permanently for the library.

“An advanced reader copy of a book is one that is put together by the publishing company before the book is actually published,” Jennisen Lucas, District Librarian of Park 6 stated. “These books often are not final drafts, and still have a round or so of edits, including picture additions, before the final publication date,” Lucas continued.

Although many students cannot directly acquire an advanced copy, Lucas and Carol Woodward, librarian at CHS, attend conferences at the beginning of the new year to gather copies of these pre-published books. By attending, they bring back stacks of copies, which have been made available to students to read if requested. “We just ask that you provide us with feedback on whether we should consider purchasing it for the library,” Lucas later stated.

Woodward explained that there are on average at east 50 books requested during the school year. As few students are requesting new books for the library, there are fewer numbers attaining the knowledge of the availability to read an advanced copy.

“I do not have time to read all of the books that I pick up, and my opinion is not always the same as that of students, so I have asked Mrs. Woodward to help me share those books out for honest opinions from students,” Lucas said.

Both librarians push students to read as much as possible. Students interested in providing feedback and reading advanced copies should reach out to Woodward or Lucas.