CHS Bonfire

Extremity of Driving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Extremity of Driving

Many young teenagers overlook the complexity of driving. We often feel obligated to obtain the three inch card with our signature and cheesy smile. But why is this?

When traveling for vacation to see family or get out of town, one may focus on what music to listen to or sleep through the long countless hours, but I like to observe the factors of driving. When I visited Hawaii over spring break, the speed limit didn’t exceed 55, even on the highway. Our local Powell highway speed limit reaches up to 70 mph. But is this safe?

“The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16-19-year-olds than among any other age group. In 2015, teens ages 16-19 in the United States accounted for 2,333 fatalities and 233,845 injuries due to car accidents. The risk of a fatal car accident is significantly higher in newer teen drivers,” SaferAmerica.com stated.

Not only are the risks increasing for individuals behind the wheel, parents have begun to question distractions such as social media in whether their teens will make it home at night.

The same website went on to explain, “Phone use is a major distraction from driving. On average, it takes most people 5 seconds to take their eyes off the road to read or send a text. At 55 mph, that equates to driving the full length of a football field with your eyes closed.”

Many might wonder, “How can we stop this as a whole?” One way to find a solution is to start talking about the problem. It can happen during class discussions, in-person conversations, social media posting. Talking about the true risk  may prevent some teens from even pondering whether to touch a device while operating a vehicle that has the capability of being a deadly weapon. Another simple task is giving your phone to someone else in the car. Be the driver that is merely trying to focus on the road in front of you. Let the passenger send the blushing emoji to your crush.

Please take a few minutes to watch this video. You won’t regret it.