Fourth Try For Spring Musical

Drama Club Says "The Show Must Go On"

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fourth Try For Spring Musical

Annamarie Victor and Bethany Sandvik are taking over the drama department for the spring musical. This is the fourth attempt at a spring production for the CHS Drama club.

Originally, the musical was going to be “Zombie Prom,” but was changed before casting due to mature themes like suicide. The second show, “Working,” was cancelled after the first read through again due to mature themes and language. The final musical was to be “Secrets Every Smart Traveler Should Know,” but Troy Hunt was let go from CHS due to complications with directing.

When Sandvik and Victor heard about the issue, they took the lead to help our students have a spring performance this year.

The new musical is a one-act entitled “The Audition”  written by Don Zolidis. Victor is impressed by the students hard work to give light to subjects that tend to be overlooked, such as parental tension. “It is a really fun show with serious parts that address things like bullying,” Victor explains. “These students are working hard to put on a great performance.”

Junior Jake Sandvik, son of Co-Director Bethany, has been in drama performances since childhood. He believes the school was trying to benefit the drama department with the fourth change, “The school wanted to give the seniors their final spring musical so instead of just canceling it entirely, they had Victor and Sandvik pick a short play that they believed we could reasonably put together in four weeks.”Sandvik continues, “There was a great number of kids who quit the previous show, and the school noticed this and raised an eyebrow. They thought the drama club lost its fun…it wasn’t right to let a show with so many kids quit continue.”

The club has mixed opinions on this final show-swap. Students, like Sandvik, had been looking forward to “Secrets Every Smart Traveler Should Know,” and had been working diligently on their parts. “I had two musical solo’s, and I along with many others had worked very hard to get the pieces as good as they could be,” he explains.

As of the spring equinox, there are 16 days left of practice before the first performance on April 5th. There will be two performances of this play, one on April 5th and the other on the 6th, both at seven o’clock post meridiem.