CHS Bonfire

31 Days of Halloween Movies: Day 4, It

It: a horror movie with heart. It came out in 2017 starring multiple young actors. Originally a book by Stephen King and later a TV mini series, the story has evolved into what most teens are familiar with.

The movie is about a group of teens known as the losers. Each of the individuals has experienced an encounter with the evil shape-shifting entity, the main one known as Pennywise the Clown. The kids defy their known limits in order to defeat evil. Unfortunately, the job isn’t finished and Pennywise goes back into his hibernation period of 27 years. There will be a sequel to It, It: Chapter Two, slated to be coming out next year set in 2016, 27 years after when the original film took place.  

This film’s main themes are losing innocence and doing something for the greater good despite fears. The main character, Bill Denbrough’s (Jaeden Lieberher) brother, Georgie, was killed by “It” when he first exited his hibernation. As the film progresses Bill’s biggest fear seems to be seeing “It” take the form of Georgie whenever the two have encounters. After several kids, including Georgie, are taken and eaten by “It” the townspeople all think it’s just the work of a kidnapper, but the losers catch on even though some in the group are skeptical. Then at the climax of the film, he finds “It” as Georgie and shoots him in the head.

While the film represents a shapeshifting entity that feeds on fear, in the real world there are several “Its” we have to face every day. From the real demon of having a brother die to just simply being afraid of clowns, fear plages us if we give it the opportunity to. The losers club doesn’t though and while overcoming fears is tough, that’s exactly what the kids learn to do. The film ends with the losers making a blood oath to come back and kill “It” for good, showing their dedication to the greater good.

Personally I hate horror movies, but this movie is an exception. I loved the heart of the movie, and having read the book, I was impressed that despite the major changes, the film didn’t sacrifice the book’s themes. I was thoroughly scared by this movie, and this may be the case just because I get scared so easily, but the movie was effective that way. While skeptical at first about the change of time period from the 50’s to 80’s, it worked well translating to a new audience. The only thing I didn’t like was that they teased more then showed “It’s” true powers. He stayed Pennywise for a majority of the movie. Overall, I’d give it 8/10 stars and I think it’s a perfect movie to watch this spooky season.