CHS Bonfire

Filed under Features, News

Freshman Start From Scratch

Finding classes. Where to hang out in the mall. New teachers. New hallways. Off-campus lunch. Every year there are many things that new freshman have to get use to during their first few weeks of high school.

Adjusting to high school from middle school can be a challenge for many freshman, because there are new daily customs to adjust to.

Freshman Trace Thompson said, ¨For me, I’m trying to get use to carrying everything around because they didn’t give us lockers.¨

In addition to lockers, freshman have open campus lunch,  longer class periods, and a much larger school to navigate. Even with some major changes, freshman here at Cody High School are enjoying the school year. Students are allowed more autonomy when it comes to making their own decisions, such as policies about cell phones and food. In middle school, eighth graders, like all other grades, were required to keep backpacks and cell phones in their lockers during the school day.

Ashley Alexander not only appreciates the flexibility of CHS but also has been welcomed by upperclassman. “They have all been nice and are very accepting,” she said.

Cody High School Counselor Karen Day knows freshman struggles first hand. According to her, some of the biggest challenges or adjustments that freshman face entering high school is not having the same small group of friends that they’ve had in middle school, meeting new people and switching from seven classes a day to having five classes with more time in each of them.  The typical freshmans’ schedules have all the five required classes that they need to take. For example, core classes include math, science, history, physical education, and English.

According to Day the freshman should have a good amount of trusted people in the school and it can be their counselor or other staff member, perhaps even a trusted upperclassman. She explains that it’s also good for the freshman to be familiar with their counselor during times when they need some guidance. Day thinks all freshman should know about having a positive beginning to their high school career, making sure to pass your classes their so as to avoid failing and falling behind graduation requirements. Day also explained that parents of freshman must become familiar with the required graduation credit system.

Any freshman who finds themselves unable to adapt and having a difficult time can reach out to any of CHS’s school counselors, principals, teachers or administrative staff.