CHS Bonfire

Filed under News, Sports, Uncategorized

Border Wars 2018

Senior Paige Powell and Sophomore Allyson Schroeder block a hit from a Red Lodge middle

Madyson McBride

Madyson McBride

The Cody High School Girls Varsity volleyball team started the new 4A season off strong with an undefeated record in last weekend’s Border Wars Tournament at the Cody High School.

As a new 4A team, their work was cut out for them, according to Coach Stephanie Birch, going up against multiple teams from the region, including Montana teams.

Their biggest opponent this season will be the Kelly Walsh Trojans. Senior and libero Ryan Blaylock explained how the Trojan’s experience makes them tough competition.

“I think the Kelly Walsh Trojans will be our biggest opponent because they have always been 4A,” Blaylock explained. “They are used to playing that level of volleyball, but we will keep working super hard so we we can be prepared when we play them.”

The girls are going to have to put in some hard work on and off the court and work hard to make it to the state championships this season. Birch explained that in order to make it to state, “Everyone will have to buy into the process and strive to improve.” In the past two tournaments, coaches have seen different players step up when needed. “This is a great group this year and we are relying on everyone,” Birch said.

To improve their skills, coaches plan on breaking down the films of the volleyball games to see what areas they need to improve in. “I think to improve we need to execute what we practice, each point and game, and focus more on our side of the court instead of our competition, playing to our full potential and not dropping down type of game,” Blaylock explained.

The Cody High School Girls Varsity volleyball team is going to be continuing there season at the Cody High School on Fri. Sept. 21, against the Kelly Walsh Trojans