MENU

My First Concert

The stage at The Pub Station before the Concert

Chris Kalb

Chris Kalb

A part of growing up is trying new things and having fun experiences before you get too old and responsibilities kick in. One certain group of people always finds the time to have some of the most amazing experiences on Earth, and I’m talking about us metal-heads; we will gladly go to a concert in the middle of the week – rain, snow, or shine, just to go see our favorite band perform. On Wed. March 28, I went to my first concert in Billings MT at the Pub Station. It featured the bands Attila and Insane Clown Posse with three opening artists.

My friend Tessa, her boyfriend, their roommate, and I went to the head-banging concert. We left immediately after our third block classes and drove to Billings so we could be right up front. We waited four hours in the cold wind just to see these two amazing bands, and as the time moved on, more and more fans eagerly waiting to get inside showed up at the door .

It opened around seven, and by then, the sidewalk was cramped with fans wanting to be the first inside. Luckily, our group was among them after paying forty dollars each, so we were able to get the best spots – front row in the middle of the stage. We were five feet away from the stage and the amps.

Before we went in, my friends had told me to hold onto the barrier that’s up front so I wouldn’t be shoved to the back.

As the night went on and the music got louder, more and more people shoved me and pushed me as they were trying to get up front. I even had a beer poured on me, and I was sucker punched in the kidneys, but nothing was getting in between the music and me. The headliner was Insane Clown Posse or ICP for short, but little did we all know that we were going to get drenched in soda. The band shook up two liters of Faygo Diet Cola and sprayed them on the crowd.

The entire experience was worth the drive and wait. Getting high fives and fist bumps from the band members and getting to talk with them between songs was the best part of the night. But there’s the thing with heavy metal: these artists can be some of the nicest or some of the meanest people you can meet. I’m glad that the band Attila was nice and made my first concert the time of my life. A concert is one the best experiences someone could have. It could be any kind of music, but seeing any band live is a story you can tell for the rest of your life.