Music Department Welcomes Student Teacher

Brissa+Mata

CHS gained a valuable addition to its music program at the beginning of second semester. Student teacher Estela Torres has been conducting in different music classes with band teacher Wade French’s guidance, while also finding time to play the oboe.

“I wanted to student teach in Cody because it’s different than what I grew up with in Gillette,” Torres said. “I really wanted that change from seeing a big program to seeing a smaller 3A school.”

The oboe player has been a student at the University of Wyoming for four and a half years, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music Education and a minor in Spanish. She’ll be graduating in May and plans to teach in the state of Wyoming.

“I’m open to middle school, elementary or high school,” said Torres.

Torres has been getting to know the band and guitar students.

“I’ve gotten to know some of the students. Some of the kids are more eager than others to talk to me,” Torres said.

The band will have two concerts before the end of the school year that Torres and French will conduct together.

“I’m really looking forward to our concerts. I think they’ll [the students] be able to really put on a good show,” said Torres. “Wade and I will probably conduct about half and half.”

Torres advises her current and future students to “practice your instrument, ask a lot of questions and take the time to really work on your weaknesses.”