MENU
Filed under News

Terroristic Threat Found at CHS

Dire Consequences if Investigation Discovers Perpetrator

A message about a school shooting was found in a girl’s bathroom yesterday, March 21, at Cody High School. On the toilet paper dispenser, someone had written, “Don’t come to school on Friday unless you feel like dying. I’m shooting up the school.”

CHS administration took action immediately. Principal Jeremiah Johnston and Assistant Principal Beth Blatt are investigating the situation with School Resource Officer Rayna Wortham, as well as with Superintendent Ray Schulte.

“We’re going to drop everything for optimum student safety,” Blatt said. “Kids do dumb things, but in this day with the heightened levels of violence in schools, we have to take every threat seriously. Schools should be positive and safe. We have to take it seriously.”

Blatt emphasized the severity of consequences for such a message, considered a felony and a terroristic threat, that would follow the perpetrator for life. When convicted, a felon is not allowed to vote, purchase firearms, work in education, hospitals, or law enforcement. Felons do not qualify for federal student aid or grant money.  

According to Wortham, a charge of a terroristic threat is punishable by no more than three years in prison. Because of the change in juvenile protection laws, the name and information of the student who made the threat at CHS can legally be released to the public. A felony charge is permanent, and a minor would most likely be tried as an adult in court.

“I love our school,” Blatt said. “The good stuff that happens needs to be heard just as much as this. There are so many great kids doing amazing things. We have a great school. We can’t let this take over. We need to stay kind to each other. Anytime you hear of someone making threats or see concerning behavior, don’t be afraid to say something. It could be nothing, but what if it isn’t?”

Extra law enforcement will be present at CHS tomorrow (Friday), and the administration is sending out an all-call as soon as possible to CHS parents with information regarding the safety of the school .