MENU
Filed under Features, News

Preventing the Flu

On average 200,000 people in the United States get the flu each year; of that number 49,000 people die. The flu is a sickness that many of us overlook, and we shouldn’t. Some common symptoms of the flu are fever, coughing or sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, muscle or body aches, headache, and fatigue. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/disease.htm

The flu is a virus that infects the respiratory system. The word flu is short for influenza. The most common time for a person to get this virus is from October through May. It is most common in children, but is often found in people of all ages, including teenagers.

People are most likely to get the flu because of these four reasons: https://medlineplus.gov/flu.html

• Worrying about getting sick – When someone is worried, it weakens the immune system and makes the body more vulnerable to the diseases.
  • Touching or coming into contact with other people – When the flu is going around, avoid hugging, kissing, or touching other peoples’ hands.
  • Smoking – Gets rid of the hair in your nose that prevents diseases from making their way into your lungs.
  • Exercising too much – Leaves your body physically stressed, and you can also pick up many viruses in the gym.

A reminder on how to keep from getting the flu is to wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 15 seconds. Briskly rubbing your hands together washes the viruses down the drain. The second way to keep from getting the flu is by coughing and sneezing into a tissue and not your arm. The last way to prevent the flu is to avoid close contact with other people.

If you find yourself with the flu, some home remedies that are sure to help are to get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, try some herbal teas, and face steams. If your cold turns into something serious, go to find medical help as soon as possible.