MENU
Filed under Features, News, Sports

Broncs Finish Second At State Wrestling

Lawren Johnson

Lawren Johnson

The CHS Broncs finished the season with excellent results at the State Wrestling Tournament hosted in Casper, Wyoming Feb. 23 and 24.

Sophomore Charlie Beaudrie placed first in his weight class of 182 pounds, sophomore Zain Fitzgerald placed second in the 132-pound weight class, and senior Dan Beaudrie placed first in the 160-pound weight class. The team placed second overall in 3A. Coaches Trev Wood and Shawn Trotter are pleased with the way the Broncs performed and supported each other during the event and the season.

“We were hoping to place top four,” said Wood, “they wrestled out of their minds Friday morning so then the top two was in our goals.”

The team’s leaders supported and pushed everyone to meet their original goal and even exceed their expectations. Dan Beaudrie was one of the seniors that pushed the team to their capacities.

“We’re in the position that we are in because of that senior leadership,” said Trotter. “Not just from him, but from all the seniors. They’re a good group of kids that were just really great leaders.”

Senior Beaudrie placed first in the 160-pound weight class and his brother didn’t fall behind. Sophomore Charlie Beaudrie also placed first in his weight class with a lot of support from his team.

“The team was pretty supportive,” said the sophomore. “I won state in football and to go and win state wrestling too was sweet.”

The younger Beaudrie’s success in the semifinals against Star Valley gave the team confidence going into the final matches.

“In my opinion, his finals match as far as how he wrestled was his best match of the season,” said Trotter. “He wrestled smart and looked like he belonged on the mat.”

Fitzgerald’s match against Riverton also motivated the team to push harder.

“We all just try to support each other and give each other confidence to help push each other do the best that we could.” said Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald wrestled against a Riverton returning State Champion during the semi finals and won. He had wrestled him before during the season without any success.

“Zain did a couple things a little bit different in this match than he had done previously and it made a big difference for him,” said Trotter. “That really helped the rest of the team.”

The week leading up to state, the team worked on technique and conditioning.  

“They really like to work hard. Anything we asked of them in the practice room they did it with no complaints,” said Wood. “To get things done in the tournament you gotta work hard in the practice room.”

Next year, the team will be losing eight seniors.

“We’re gonna take a hit there, but we’ve got a good crew coming back and have some really good freshman coming in,” said Wood.

Among those freshman is coach Trotter’s son, Drew Trotter.

“I’m personally very excited for next year and I think he is too,” said Trotter. “We have some great freshman coming in and it’ll be a good addition to next year’s team.”

The wrestling team and their coaches are happy with their performance at state and the support they received from the teammates, coaches, and fans.

“Thanks to all the parents and fans that came to support us at state. It was really awesome seeing a big crowd there,”said Wood. “It was a great weekend for us.”