MENU
Filed under Features, News

All We’ve Lost: Randolph Wins Big Sky Pitch

Photos by Mike Vanata.

Photos by Mike Vanata.

Preston Randolph’s “All We’ve Lost” documentary on the case of Barry Beach, the man imprisoned for the murder of 17-year-old Kimberly Nees, was chosen for best pitch in the Big Sky Pitch at the 2018 Big Sky Documentary Film Festival in Missoula, Montana. The festival, which started Feb. 16 and ended Feb. 25, features hundreds of non-fiction films, and five days of panels, workshops, and classes.

The documentary follows the story of Barry Beach and his mother’s crusade to free him.

“The film follows the case of Barry Beach in Montana,” said Randolph. “The main focus was on Beach’s mother and her 30-year fight to free her son from prison because she firmly believed that he was innocent. Her journey in that case inspired a big change in the state of Montana.”

Randolph was chosen to pitch his documentary “All We’ve Lost”, along with nine other films and their makers, to a panel of editors and executives at the festival.

“Hopefully it motivates other funders to get involved. It’s definitely going to help us build momentum where we’re at. It was a great way to network and meet with professionals throughout the documentary industry all around the country,” said Randolph.

The executives on the panel were impressed with Randolph’s presentation of the film pitch.

“It allowed me to pitch in the characters in the film, the film itself, our goals with it when it is completed to a panel of executives, CEOs of big film companies, funders, distributors, etc. So having that opportunity was really cool and then at the end of the day I found out that they chose my film as the best pitch for this year,” said Randolph..

Randolph started the film project in 2014 after his brother gave him a newspaper clipping about Beach’s 18-month release in 2011.

“Its something that’s very close to me. I spent the last four years of my life devoted to this story and following various angles and various elements of it. I’m very excited to be wrapping it up this year. It is on a topic that people in the country need to see,” said Randolph.

In contrast to the true-crime dramas like the Netflix Original, “Making a Murderer,” Randolph believes “All We’ve Lost” brings a personalized element into the story.

“I’ve seen a lot of documentaries on crime scene investigations and wrongful imprisonment, but I’ve never seen a documentary that chronicles the journey of a mother outside the prison trying to free her son inside,” said Randolph.

Randolph hopes “All We’ve Lost” will inspire new conversation on the criminal justice reform and the impact on the families of those who have been wrongly convicted.  

“Her story then inspires historic change which gets her son out, but will also have a ripple effect and impact the lives of hundreds to thousands of people in the future. I’m really excited to share that story,” said Randolph.

Photos by Mike Vanata.

1 Comment

One Response to “All We’ve Lost: Randolph Wins Big Sky Pitch”

1. Doreen Thunder on March 28th, 2018 12:38 pm

Wow, Ruby! Excellent reporting and photos. A very important topic not only for Montana but Wyoming as well.

thanks

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• All We’ve Lost: Randolph Wins Big Sky Pitch

Features

Sydney Polmajzl: Life Affected By Fibular Hemimelia

Features

Kirsten Hull: Valedictorian

Features

Four Seniors Honored with Band Achievement Awards

Features

Cody Businesses Need Employees

Features

Wead to Travel for Humanitarian Work

Arts & Entertainment

CHS Senior Pursues Dreams in Music

Features

Olenik Adds Excitement to Bio II Class Out of The Classroom

Arts & Entertainment

Voices in the Hall: Summer Excitement

Arts & Entertainment

Mark McKenna Leaves CHS

Features

Things To Do for Earth Day

The Student News Site of Cody High School