CHS Band stages Uprising

Photo by Luke Campbell

Juniors Aili Roberson, Jasper Mork, senior Charlie Hall, sophomore Colton Blische, and Emily Trotter practice their marching show.

Ellie Wooden was overjoyed in May when she learned that she had been chosen as one of CHS’s Assistant Drum Majors.

“Music has such a bond on people,” Wooden said. “You hear that song and you get taken back to those trips and the friends you had and the memories you made with them. I’m not afraid of anything adrenaline related. I’m not scared of heights or spiders, but I’m terrified of losing my memories, and most of my best memories are associated with band.”

The CHS marching band stormed the field this Aug. to begin practicing their marching show, the routine they will perform at Homecoming and State Marching.

Their theme for this year’s show is Uprising. The show will include the song “Uprising” by Muse and “Feel This Moment” by Pitbull with Christina Aguilera. Both of these songs are arranged by Tom Wallace. The final song in the set is “The Sound of Silence,” originally by Simon and Garfunkel, and covered by Disturbed.  Band Director Wade French personally arranged “The Sound of Silence” to custom fit his students.

“It’s really cool that Mr. French took the time out of his summer to do that,” said senior trumpet player, Finn Jackson. “It really shows how much he cares about the band program.”

Photo by Luke Campbell
Senior Ellie Wooden directs the Marching Band.

The band is lead by three drum majors, students who are in charge of the band and direct the music. Senior Emma Heydenberk is the band’s Head Drum Major, and the Assistant Drum Majors are seniors Duke Dickson and Ellie Wooden. The assistant drum majors were told that they were chosen while they were on a trip in Utah last May.

“When I found out I was chosen, I started crying because two of my best friends were going to be Drum Majors with me,” Wooden said. “I went up to my hotel room and called my parents and I just couldn’t stop crying.”

The band will perform during the state marching band showcase Sat. Oct. 14 in The Casper Events Center. The Bronc Band is trying to get a One, or Superior rating, for the second year in a row.