CHS Students Watch Eclipse

Photo Courtesy of Matthew Jackson

During eclipse totality Mon. Aug. 21, 2017 in Shoshoni, Wyoming, the moon is blocking the sun which made the corona vivid.

People from across the globe traveled to the U.S. to witness the Aug. 21 total solar eclipse. Wyoming was lucky enough to have multiple points of totality within its borders, including Jackson, Lander, Shoshoni, and Casper. Cody was right on the cusp of totality, getting 98 percent. CHS students who had taken an interest in the eclipse traveled if they could. Some stayed in Cody, and others who had little to no interest continued with their normal routines.

Senior Emma Heydenberk saw the total solar eclipse in Shoshoni with friends.

“ Before it reached the point of totality I thought it was a bit overrated, but the moment it got dark everyone started to clap,” Heydenberk said. “ I just stared. I didn’t actually come back and start to think until a minute in. I was just in awe.”

While many Cody residents decided to stay home and catch 98 percent of the eclipse, some of those who traveled raved about the difference that two percent made. Senior Finn Jackson went to the point of totality in Shoshoni.

“First off, the corona was absolutely incredible. It’s like little lights shining around this big black dot. It’s like I was looking at a black hole,” Jackson said. “There was also the shadow. Everything was covered in darkness. It was like there was a sunset all the way around the horizon,” Jackson said.

Sophomore Jake Sandvik also went to a point of totality; however, he felt very differently than the two seniors.

“It was no Michael Scott leaving Scranton,” Sandvik said, referring to the television show The Office.

“I was in a place I don’t know exactly where, but it’s the middle of nowhere and four hours away,” Sandvik said.

His parents, sister, and he went out a day before the eclipse to camp, meeting people who had traveled up to four days to see the event.

“I had some thoughts of this isn’t as stupid as I thought it was going to be; however, it’s also not as interesting or cool as I thought it was going to be at the same time,” Sandvik said. “I did have some emotion, but it’s still not that amazing.”

Sophomore Mia Smith was in Cody to witness the partial eclipse.

“I was at the Cathcart [Health Center],” Smith said. “My mom had to go to a doctor’s appointment so I just stayed there. I thought it was going to get darker. You could tell it was getting a little darker, but it wasn’t a lot.”

Smith is planning to see the next eclipse in The United States in 2024, thinking of it as an important event to witness at one point in her life.

Gabby Crum (freshman) saw the partial eclipse in Cody as well. Crum was at Rocky Mountain School of the Arts for dance intensive.

“We just went outside to watch the eclipse,” Crum said. “ We watched for like 30 minutes. It wasn’t that exciting seeing just the partial. It didn’t go dark at all. It just got a little cooler.”

Crum would have gone to see the total eclipse but her parents were working, and she didn’t have a ride. It was important to her, so she’s planning on seeing a total eclipse in the future.

“When it was coming around I was thinking when’s it going to get super dark. I was thought it’d be sort of similar to when it reaches 100 percent. It didn’t get to that point at all,” Crum said. “When it was over I was thinking is it over or is it still there?

Sophomore Caleb Murphy didn’t make any plan to see the eclipse at all.

“During the partial eclipse, I took a shower the whole time,” Murphy said. “I just didn’t care. It was hot I thought it was pointless. Didn’t sound like there would be a point to go see it. I’m not planning on seeing it in the future.”

The next total solar eclipse is in South America on July 2, 2019. The next one to be in the contiguous United States will be April 8, 2024, going through thirteen states.